About Us

Our Pub

Traditional village pub set in the heart of Newdigate, near Dorking, Surrey.

The building which is now the Six Bells dates from the late 16th or early 17th century.

History

Amazingly, it was already 100 years old when it became a pub in about 1784. The pub was originally named ‘The Bells’, but later it was called The Five Bells after the bells in the church opposite. It had to be renamed in 1805 when the church recast its bells and added a sixth.At the end of the 19th century, the last Manorial Courts of Cudworth met in the Six Bells.

Bar area

The main bar area has floorboards and beams.The interior rambles around the bar to provide a number of cosy areas to drink. There is a small area down from the bar facing the church which is known as the Belfry Bar and further away, down a few steps to the left of the bar is a tile-floored area with an inglenook fireplace. The pub does have a second fireplace, but this is still hidden behind boards.

Restaurant area

At the rear is a dining room when good homemade food is served. There are tables to the front and side and a large garden with children’s play equipment to the rear.

Our Menu

From traditional favourites such as fish and chips and hearty steaks to authentic freshly made pizza and pasta anyone visiting the Six Bells can expect a menu filled with high quality dishes, skilfully prepared by Chef Ronald and his team of passionate chefs.